Sunday, January 29, 2012

Magnanimous


Life brings constant change from the time we arrive on this planet. We change physically, intellectually and emotionally as we grow. One of the most important goals in life for the believer is to mature and grow up. Maturity takes us on to noble and inspiring places, and immaturity feeds on the petty things in life. I have, at times, struggled with resentment, but on careful examination, it was nothing more than being stuck in the stage of pettiness. When I accepted change and matured, I let the petty go and experienced a far better version of life. I have a favorite word which is the complete opposite of petty (which happens to be my least favorite word)—it is magnanimous. It means to show a lofty and courageous spirit. When I am resentful, I say to myself, “Boyd, you are being petty about this.” When I am able to let go and move to better things I say, “Boyd, you are being magnanimous.”

Ephesians 4:15-16  
“Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. 16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.”

How quickly we grow emotionally and mature in life depends on what we do with the opportunities that come our way. I once read a quote that said, “Dare to leave the shore and you will know new horizons.” Cutting loose of the secure line is the first step to experiencing new dimensions of freedom. For all of us, there are stages of our lives where we feel stuck and our world seems to shrink in size. During those times, we are inevitably faced with a choice of accepting the status quo or breaking out of our limitations.

C. S. Lewis described change in a unique way. It is like an unborn chick inside the egg. The chick is comfortable and unchallenged. The egg contains some nutrients for its sustenance, but they will soon be depleted. The chick must choose - stay in the egg and die or adventure out and live. The shell must be cracked from the inside, and in so doing, it enters an entirely new world. This world, though new to the chick, is the world for which it is made. The choice to live or die is up to the chick.[i]

I can identify with the chick. Life may be somewhat monotonous at times, but at least you know your little world. The thought of breaking out into the unknown is frightening. The one thing that has enabled me to find the courage to accept change has been the gnawing question of “What is my purpose?” As hard as change is, it is the vehicle of growth. We can’t grow and mature without change.

I have to ask myself “What is God calling me to do?” I don’t have to know what it is like on the other side of the egg shell to break through. I just have to know I’m doing the right thing. Let me ask you a question to ponder. Is your world a small, restricted space that has confined your growth? If so, maybe it is time to consider breaking the shell and experiencing the world you were made for.


[i] William L. Self, http://day1.org/1079-cobwebs_on_the_confessional.

No comments:

Post a Comment