Thursday, May 31, 2012

Secure in God


How important is our self-esteem? Pretty important when you consider that many people we meet on a daily basis are very insecure. Maybe you remember the man who kept piling on his exploits so everyone would be impressed or the woman who never let anyone else talk. They were both trying to earn approval from people because of their insecurities. We get most of our security in the first three years of our lives from the loving bond with mom and dad. Something wonderful happens in a child’s life when she realizes that she is loved unconditionally. However, we can only get another part from God. He is our creator, and we long for his affirmation until we are secure in him.

As secure and unconditional as the love we received from our parents is, it can never hold a light to God’s unconditional love for each of us. He loves us despite our faults and shortcomings, and he never changes his love. He loves us even when we are unworthy of his love. When we come to God, no matter what the occasion, he is ready and willing to embrace us with his love.

I play this little game with one of my two-year-old granddaughters: I say, “Are you grandpa’s girl?” She usually answers, “No, I’m grandma’s girl or mommy’s girl.” I respond by saying, “What!” and she giggles. The other night, however, at an outside barbecue she came up to me said, “Grandpa, can I hold you?” I, of course, picked her up and sat her down on my lap, and we had some Cheez-Its together. I asked her, “Whose girl are you?” She responded, “Grandpa’s girl.” I very well knew that the next time grandma or mommy appeared I would be outclassed, but that never kept me from loving my little granddaughter when she asked to be held. Likewise, when we come to God, regardless of the reason, he never questions the motive but extends his loving arms to us. In fact, that is what Jesus said:

Matthew 11:28-30
28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."



No comments:

Post a Comment