Monday, October 22, 2012

Enjoying Life



One of the greatest challenges in life is to enjoy life. As we get older, life gets more complicated, and of course there are always problems to deal with. Then there is the unexpected which often times brings undesirable circumstances. If we are not careful, these challenges will make us cynical, unenthusiastic and bored with life.

I work at enjoying my life. First on the list is my relationship with God, and I want that relationship to be vibrant and alive. As David said, “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God,” (Psalms 42:1), so also it is my desire to experience God’s presence. Secondly is my desire to enjoy my wife, children and grandchildren. There is a special joy that family brings to our hearts that cannot be equaled from any other source, and for this I am grateful.

This past week my family and I traveled to California for a few days of vacation. We had the privilege of traveling with our son Eric and his wife and two beautiful daughters. We also had the privilege of seeing firsthand the wonders of God’s creation throughout the 9 states we were driving through.

The reason for this trip was to participate in the celebration of the 100th birthday of Marilyn’s grandmother. Grandmother Peters was born on October 20, 1912, in Willow Springs, Missouri.  She is a committed believer and has always loved God and devoted her life to serving him; even at this age she never misses a church service.  She truly has been an example for her entire family.

When my life is over, I want my children and grandchildren to remember a dad and grandpa who loved God, life love, and loved them. I hope they will remember someone who was fun to be around. I certainly don’t want them to remember me by my problems but by my faith and my desire to live life to the fullest.

I have lived long enough to know that life can be disappointing with plenty of regrets to go around. However, God is able to take any regrets we have and turn them into opportunities for Him to do something in our lives. This is really what Paul wrote to the Romans: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose”
(Romans 8:28).

Learning to be content in life is not easy, and I emphasize the learning part. Paul said, “… I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want” (Philippians 4:11-12). Even for Paul, he admits that he had to learn how to do this. When we do learn this, and I am encouraging you to learn it, it makes all the difference in the world in whether or not we enjoy life. Life is too short and too important to not enjoy, so let’s focus on what is important and not sweat the small stuff.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment