Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Trip Home





A few days ago I took a flight from St. Louis, Missouri, where I live, to Fresno, California, where I was raised. I have come to spend a few days with my parents and to celebrate my father’s 90th birthday. There is always something nostalgic about returning to the place where we grew up. Although I have been back to visit on other occasions, I have not lived in this San Joaquin Valley for 36 years.

Everything seems so familiar: The fruit and nut trees, the vineyards, the alfalfa fields, and the dairies with countless cows. Citrus orchards and just about every kind of vegetable that will grow are here. Surrounding this valley is the majestic view of the Sierra Mountains with their snow-capped peaks. This is a nice place to live. However, this morning I realized temperature is always relative. The news featured a reporter on the street bundled up from head to toe, reporting that it was a very cold morning of 38 degrees. I thought to myself, that all depends on where you live. A few hours later it reached nearly 70 degrees, so I have been willing to handle the 38.

My memories of growing up are good. My parents provided for all of my basic needs as a child, so I grew up feeling loved and cared for. In this valley, many people taught their children a strong work ethic from a very young age. I happen to have been born to those kinds of parents. It hasn’t hurt me in life, and to the contrary, it has come in handy.

Both of my parents were born in the Midwest and came to California with their parents when they were adults. In fact, the San Joaquin was settled by millions of people like my folks who came here looking for a better life. Many of my family have become farmers, truckers or businessmen.

When I left California, I followed my calling—the ministry. That calling took me to the Midwest, then to Argentina, and now back to the Midwest. I have no regrets about the life I chose to follow. It has been challenging, but extremely rewarding.

My call to ministry actually happened when I was sixteen. I was part of a missions trip to Hermosillo, Mexico. During one part of the trip, we sang in a prison, and it was there that God spoke to me about sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the world. I looked at the prisoners and realized that we are all prisoners of our own sin until Jesus sets us free.

First, I experienced forgiveness for my sins when I received Christ as my savior, and since then I have been telling other people about Jesus. He is one who sets the prisoner free. Jesus said this about his ministry:

Luke 4:18-19
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."  

No comments:

Post a Comment