Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Rose From Brier



Amy Carmichael (1867-1951) was born in Ireland and became a missionary to India. Amy’s lifelong mission began in India when a little seven-year-old girl, who was one of so many little girls given to the temple to become prostitutes, ran away and came to her. Amy founded a home for these girls and spent 55 years in ministry in India. She wrote more than 35 books and so many beautiful songs. Her songs and poems reflect a depth of understanding and relationship to God that few know. Here is a poem that Amy wrote. It reflects her struggle and her willingness to remain faithful to God, even when things don’t turn out like you expect. Truly a rose did bloom in Amy’s brier, and her life still ministers to thousands of people.

A Rose From Brier
Thou hast not that, My child, but thou hast Me,
And am not I alone enough for thee?
I know it all, know how thy heart was set
Upon this joy which has not been given yet.

And well I know how through the wistful days
Thou walkest all the dear familiar ways,
As unregarded as a breath of air,
But there in love and longing, always there.

I know it all; but from thy brier shall blow
A rose for others. If it were not so
I would have told thee. Come, then, say to Me:
My Lord, my Love, I am content with Thee.

There was an Amy Carmichael because of the impact of a wonderful mother. Amy was born the first of seven children to David and Catherine Carmichael. Catherine’s influence on her daughter was remarkable. She provided an environment for her children in which they thrived. She was generous in affection, but firm in her discipline. She inspired them to pursue their dreams and answer the call of God on their lives, but at the same time she taught them personal responsibility. She trained them to have a heart for God, but most importantly she taught her children to learn to be dependent on God and not on her. She helped them learn how to solve their own problems and face the consequences of their own choices.

When Catherine learned that Amy was feeling directed by God to go to India for her life’s work, she wrote a response. In her words is reflected this unusual ability to see her children as belonging to God, and therefore she released them to him.

Yes, dearest Amy, He has lent you to me all these years. He only knows what a strength, comfort and joy you have been to me. In sorrow He made you my staff and solace, in loneliness my more than child companion, and in my gladness my bright and merry hearted sympathizer. So, darling, when he asks you now to go away from within my reach, can I say nay? No, no, Amy, He is yours—you are His—to take you where He pleases and to use you as He pleases. I can trust you to Him and I do…All day He has helped me, and my heart unfailingly says, Go ye.”[i]


[i] Lindsey  O’Connor, Moms Who Changed The World, Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, OR 1999, pp. 161-162.

No comments:

Post a Comment