Monday, August 18, 2014

Full Circle



Most Christians know this verse found in the book of Romans:  “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Rom 8:28). I find these words to be comforting because they have been true in my life.

For example, when I was 22, I started my junior year at Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, California. Moving to Southern California was a major step of faith, and it was an exciting opportunity to get my bachelor’s degree.  However, it was a depressed job market, and I couldn’t find a job, so I was only able to attend one semester. I had a wife and a little girl, and necessity dictated that we move back to the San Joaquin Valley in California. I was disappointed to not finish when I was so close. Two years later the doors opened for full-time ministry.

I made many different attempts to work on my educational goals, but with full-time ministry and a family, it was a challenge. However, in 1998 I completed a licentiate degree in theology, and in 2001 a master’s degree in theology and leadership, and in 2011 another master’s in counseling and finally in 2014 a doctorate in psychology. What is ironic is that I graduated from California Southern University located a few miles from Vanguard. Truly, God used all the twists and turns of my life and made them work for his purpose.

After all, the ultimate goal of my life is to live for the glory of God, and whatever tools he gives me along the way are all for that purpose. I am grateful for the many places God has allowed me to minister: California, and it was such a privilege to have ministered in Argentina and Puerto Rico many years. And now I can’t believe that I have been the pastor of People’s Church in Arnold, Missouri for the past 15 years. However, my most significant life achievement is my family, without a doubt.








No comments:

Post a Comment