Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Road to Destiny



The poet Robert Browning wrote these profound words:

I was not born
Informed and fearless from the first, but shrank
From aught which marked me out apart from men:
I would have lived their life, and died their death,
Lost in their ranks, eluding destiny.”[i]

If you believe that God has a plan for every life and that he desires us to live out that plan, then you will be inspired by Browning’s words. How many lose their way in this cruel world, only to live someone else’s life and die someone else’s death. The tragedy is that when we do that, our destiny eludes us.

God told Jeremiah that "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations" (Jer 1:5). There it is—a divine plan for a person’s life. What then is the road to this destiny? The next few verses answer that question: “‘Ah, Sovereign Lord,’ I said, ‘I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.’ But the Lord said to me, ‘Do not say, “I am only a child.” You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,’ declares the Lord” (Jer 1:6-8). The key to living our God-given destiny is in obedience to God.

Obedience to God is not always an easy thing. The prophet Jonah found himself unwilling to obey God’s directives when asked to preach repentance to the people of Nineveh. Instead of going to Nineveh in obedience, he boarded a ship headed in the opposite direction (Jonah 1:1-9). Jonah hated the Assyrians who were famous for their barbaric practices of torturing and slowly killing their victims. If we think about it, we all have some of Jonah’s prejudice against somebody. His disobedience caused him to be indifferent to the needs of others. When a terrible storm overwhelmed the ship and all the sailors were afraid for their lives, Jonah slept the sleep of indifference. His behavior was a contradiction to his faith and puzzling to the people around him.

After being thrown into the sea and swallowed by a great fish, Jonah experienced a change of heart. He came to see the truth about his life. Here are his words: "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs” (Jonah 2:8). It may have taken a horrifying whale ride to get Jonah to this place, but what he states here is true of us all. When we cling to any idol, whether it be hate, envy or pride, we also forfeit the grace of God that could be ours.

If we don’t want to live someone else’s life and die someone else’s death, we need someone bigger than ourselves to direct the course of our lives—and that person is God. In obedience to his will is the road to our destiny.






[i] Meyer, F. B. (2011-05-22). Jeremiah, Priest And Prophet (Kindle Locations 129-132). Heritage Bible Fellowship. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment